Monday, July 4, 2011

Boredom is Enemy Number One

At one time or another you and I have each experienced boredom to one degree or another. My kids are usually the quickest to say “I’m bored,” but  as adults, we experience our share. Boredom comes sometimes from a feeling of laziness, exhaustion, or even a lack of mental stimulation.  It's a  very powerful emotion that if not kept in check can run our lives a muck.  I don't know how realistic it is to keep my mind and body continually at its peak, but it's certainly is something to be striving  for.  Having an active lifestyle and being the director of my life is something I've  always aimed for, but haven't always been motivated or persistent in that department.  When boredom is on the mental and emotional stage, I feel robbed of  having my needs met.  Boredom becomes enemy number one!

When I'm bored I feel empty inside.  Sometimes I just get fed up with a particular situation at that given moment or at the lack of activity in my life.  Boredom leads to complacency, makes me feel tired, restless and can cause me to procrastinate and become indecisive.  I end up do nothing which just makes me even more fed up and bored.  You start to feel like you're in a rut.  Your outlook on life turns sour.  You may even feel irritable and angry. These negative things turn into negative self-talk that just further fuels the boredom, especially when I'm alone, which often leads to overeating or binge eating.

You've probably heard that before you can accomplish something or make it happen, you need to visualize what it is you want.  Who do you want to be and where do you want to go? What is your purpose?  Is your routine too repetitive or overly structured?  Change it up.  Instead of waiting for something to happen,  take action yourself and initiate it.  Think, if it is to be, it is up to me.  Failures don't plan to fail; they fail to plan.  The key to overcoming boredom is simply refusing to allow it in  the first place and to have a positive outlook about life and all of its endless possibilities.  One of the actions to overcoming my boredom has been changing my attitude and outlook on life.  It seems to have have a positive influence to how I perceive boredom. 

Being inspired towards bigger and better goals, I've become motivated and have fewer tendencies to feel bored.  A great method to longer lasting health and well-being is simply moving your body and getting that circulation going. Exercise stimulates the chemicals called endorphins that improves your mood naturally and makes you feel better.  Get off the couch and get busy with something, anything.  Plan your day so it's full of activities for your body and mind.  TV does not engage your mind, so don't even think about it! Live your life, not theirs.  Beachbody workouts, like P90X, offer a variety that keeps the boredom away too, as long as you keep pushing play. 

So the next time you start to feel bored, give yourself a daily goal and then keep your mind on that goal. Get excited, get inspired, get motivated and be persistent!  There's no time to get bored.  It's that little push for yourself that keeps everything interesting.  Finally, remember that nutrition is king and exercise is queen, put them together for your own kingdom and squash the boredom bug!  Let me know what your remedy for boredom is by leaving a comment today.  Thanks for reading the blogpost and I hope you will share it.

If you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me. I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts. I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes. So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment