Monday, July 11, 2011

Why Don't You Drink Milk?

When friends ask, "why don't you drink milk?" I am now confident that what I am eliminating from my daily diet is the best for my overall health and fitness.  I base this on my own experience and study of the topic.

I believe that cow's milk is mother nature's perfect food for a calf or breast milk for a human child, until it's weaned.  Calcium and protein?  Where do cows and other animals get calcium for their bones and protein for their muscles?  From plants!  Enough said.  There are however some healthy dairy choices and nondairy foods I'd recommend.  I use 1-2 daily servings (1 servings=8 ounces or 1 cup) of the following:

Organic low fat Greek yogurt
Goat milk or goat cheese
Almond Milk
Coconut Milk
Rice Milk
Soy Milk
Soy-based cheeses and yogurt
Kefir (fermented dairy products)

We simply don't need to consume dairy milk to be healthy.  Reducing your intake of dairy will cut back on your levels of unhealthy saturated fat and lower cholesterol.

Got Milk?  The dairy industry is...well, it's an industry...a business, and they can market whatever they want.  But if you're like a questioning consumer that I have become and carefully scrutinize what I fuel my body with, then you might ask yourself some questions about why humans are the only animal species that drink milk and continue to after being weaned.  I found the following article in the McDougall Newsletter to provide some solid  information with factual references on the topic.   Dairy foods are simply high in calories, high in fat and cholesterol and contribute to disease and illness.

In the months that I've eliminated dairy milk from my diet, I have also eliminated my cravings for dairy.  I have eliminated congestion from my body.  I feel great being off dairy milk.  It has not been an hindrance, but an advantage to my health and wellness.  Like Dr. John McDougall, I can find no reason to add dairy into my diet.  Tony Horton, the creator of P90X suggests try eliminating dairy milk from your diet for 30 days and see how it makes you feel.  Then add it back in and see what difference you feel.  Take the 30 day Food Challenge! 


If you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me.  I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts.  I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes.  So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment