Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Persistence Fitness Puzzle

When is the last time you achieved something worthwhile, something great, something amazing without being persistent at it?  You  need persistence to achieve your goals whether they are fitness related such as losing weight, building muscle or developing strength through resistance exercises, or a completely new direction in life.  The path to success is a journey of many steps and this quality of persistence is required not just in weight loss but in anything in life were progress is not easily attained or consistent.

Do you possess persistence, and if not, can you develop it?  Persistence is only needed when you either doubt what you are doing will bring success or are too impatient to wait for the results.  Persistence is not needed when you can see the results of your work on a regular basis, because that is usually enough of a motivation to keep going.  It is when what you are doing slows down or shows no noticeable progress that the persistence to stick with the task is required.  I'm at the stage now in my fitness progression where it's slowing down and I know that I need to persevere. 

I believe we all have the potential to persevere when the going gets tough. Dig deep within you, it's there! Armed with correct knowledge, we can be assured that the steps we are taking will result in success down the road, sooner for some and later for others.  Sometimes you must descend into the valley before you can climb the mountain.   Those who have shown by their example that results are achievable even in the face of struggle, give us reason to persevere.  Many individuals have taken steps backwards or had setbacks for one reason or another, but with persistence they never give up and keep pushing play.   Knowing beforehand that there were challenges that came up for others, should give you the strength and the mindset to not give up when it happens to you.

When you commit to something, naturally you want to see the results of the hard work you put in.  For some people the results come in the first 90 days, for some in 180 days, and for others 1 or more years.  As you persist in the actions you're taking to achieve your goals, don't become impatient if it doesn't happen right away.  Keep pushing play.  Persistence is vital to fulfill many ambitions and goals in life.  Follow what is correct then it pays off to stick with it as long as possible, even if the results are not as quick as you had hoped.

In the following video, P90X creator Tony Horton shares his insight into how to stay in the game day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year. 



To get amazing results, you need to have amazing persistence and determination.  Many fail to succeed because they lacked the persistence to continue when results were not as forthcoming as their expectations.

To highlight what Tony suggested, look past the three months.  How do you do that? What are the key aspects to how that happens?
  • Simplify.  Push play and eat right.  It's not always done everyday and it can't be perfect everyday.
  • Don't be attached to results.  Stay encouraged.  In the beginning I counted calories to help me stay focused.  I no longer do and like Tony, I just eat the right portion size of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and healthy fats.  Follow the 90/10 plan, eat 90% of the time healthy and leave 10% for occasions when you're not so strict on yourself.
  • Be in the moment and enjoy it.  Don't worry about the past, it's history and the future's a mystery.  The most important thing is to show up 5-6 days a week.  Figure out why you're doing this.  If I exercise today I will feel good, be healthier, be more fit and the quality of my life will improve.  


So when you start to hear those niggly little excuses wiggling their way into your mindset, stop them in their tracks before they gain a foot hold.  When you hear an excuse like "I'm too busy" have a counter offensive:

1.  This is important enough to me that I can find the time.
2.  If I’m so busy then this can fit right in.
3. I can stop being merely busy and start being truly effective with my time.


Start by giving yourself reasons to do something instead of giving up.  If you feel you have limitations, and we all do, then all the more reason to persist in spite of them!  A kite never flew high up in the sky without the limitation of wind and the kite line.  These forces of opposition in our life are what help us to reach new heights and grow. 



If you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me.  I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts.  I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes.  So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment