Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Does it really matter what you eat?

After leaving a healthy alternative suggestion on a recipe I read on another blog, the author explained to me on her facebook that, "It doesn't matter what you eat, David. You're still going to die."  There are two certainties in life, death and taxes.  However, I can manage my taxes through a professional accountant and by being knowledgeable can avoid certain consequences. Likewise, I can also manage my health through nutrition and exercise by being knowledgeable too and avoid certain consequences.  It's really a simple recipe when followed.   So what of the question, does it really matter what you eat?  



"Our food should be our medicine and our medicine should be our food" - Hippocrates 


He believed that the body had an innate capacity for self-healing.  His Hippocratic oath is still recited by doctors today.  Since his time however, our approach to wellness and treating illness has greatly changed.  Today's doctors receive little, if any, training in nutrition.  I believe the sickness industry wants to keep you sick as does the processed food industry.  Good health makes a lot of sense, but it doesn't make a lot of dollars.  Optimum nutrition is the medicine your body needs and craves.  You are what you eat and food does matter.


Why eat a healthy nutritional diet if we're just going to die?  Well for starters:
  • It lowers your risk for heart disease, heart attack and stroke.
  • It lowers your risk for colon cancer, breast cancer, and some other cancers.
  • It helps you maintain a healthy weight.
  • It gives you more energy.
If people get cancer, why treat the patient if they're just going to die anyways?  Ever wonder what kind of a diet cancer patients are recommended to be put on?  Take a look at this information for patients.

What to Eat During Cancer Treatment

  1. Small meals with small portions.
  2. Frequent meals: five to six mini meals or snacks daily
  3. Plenty of water or other drinks: 8 ounces, six to eight times daily.
  4. More fiber: whole grains, 100% whole wheat, flaxseed, oatmeal, brown rice, multigrain pasta, fruit, vegetables, beans, and nuts.
  5. Fruits and vegetables: at least 5 servings per day. Choose bright and deep colors, leafy greens, and juices too.
  6. Eat high calorie, high protein foods: pizza, peanut butter, tuna salad, milk products, eggs, bagels, dried fruit, nuts, and granola.
  7. Try supplements: Boost Plus®, Ensure Plus®, Instant Breakfast, or make your own homemade milkshakes: add protein powder.
  8. Food safety: wash hands before eating, cook food to proper temperatures, and keep food covered, refrigerated or frozen.
  9. Eat with others: perk up a poor appetite by dining with friends. Turn on the television or radio. Open the window for fresh air.
There are many reasons to enjoy quality of life while you're living. You may already be doing smart things for your health like are recommended for cancer patients. Ask yourself the following questions:

   Do I eat at least 5 servings of high antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables a day?
   Do I choose lean cuts of protein and low-fat or non-fat dairy foods?
   Do I compare food labels for fat and salt when I shop?
   Do I eat mostly fresh whole natural foods?
   Do I eat fiber foods and drink plenty of pure water?
   Do I use nutritional supplements?
                                            Do I get some physical activity on most days?
    If you answered yes, then you're in the minority of doing what I think is something good for your body and mind.  If you answered no, I hope you'll consider some small ways that can make significant changes.  Food does matter.  You don't have to get cancer first before becoming healthy!  The question I'd like to ask is, "How much do you care about your health?"    The answer is different for each person. I believe what is important is listening to your body and not ignoring how it feels. Being happy. Being loved. Enjoying your life. Not holding on to negative emotions. Getting adequate rest. Hopefully those are common denominators we can all depend on when it comes to our health.  You won't know the difference it can make to you unless you try.   

    If you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me.  I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts.  I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes.  So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment