Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sukuma Wiki

I'm on the lookout lately for unique and exotic foods that are easy to make, high in nutrients and delicious to the taste!  I happened upon this quite by chance recently looking for ways to combine the leafy green vegetables from our home grown garden.  We have Kale, Swiss Chard and Spinach in plenty and in season.  The recipe I share today is simple, it's quick, it uses fresh ingredients that you can get locally at your grocer or from your garden!  Get ready to love Sukuma Wiki!

Sukuma wiki, Swahili for "stretch the week," is a ubiquitous Kenyan dish. Nutritious and tasty, it is a way of "stretching" out kitchen resources.  Served alone or with a side dish of fish or Kenyan UgaliIn Kenya, the plant traditionally used is a tall-growing cabbage variety elsewhere known as "walking stick cabbage" for the tall woody stalk it produces. 

Some of the health benefits of Sukuma wiki, Kenyan Style Sauteed Greens, are high protein, calcium and iron, a variety of other essential vitamins and minerals, it's extremely nutrient rich, plus it's antioxidant health benefits.  The darker the leafy greens, the healthier it is for you!  So, here's the recipe I used for Sukuma wiki along with some pictures I took during the preparation and cooking process.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons Virgin Coconut Oil
1 Large Sweet Onion chopped
1 Tomatoe diced
A large handful each of Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, chopped
1/4 Teaspoon of Himalayan Crystal Salt
1/4 cup of Coconut Milk/Cream



Directions:

Add coconut oil to medium hot pan and sautee onions for about 5 minutes .  Add diced tomatoe and sautee for a few more minutes.  Add leafy greens, 1/4 cup of water, salt and sautee while occassionaly stirring, for about another 5 minutes, or until tender.  Dish into two bowls and top with a splash of the coconut milk.





If you want to spice up your sukuma wiki, add some hot sauce or chili peppers!  The recipe is very flexibile when it comes to choosing what leafy greens you want to add.  If you want more protein, grass fed organic beef or chicken is an alternative.  I totally enjoyed eating this dish vegan style!  I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe and let me know how it turned out for you! Remember that when people eat meals together, there are no strangers!

It's never too late to start changing bad habits, habits that can shave years off your life and impact the quality of your life. So, if you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me. I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts. I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes. So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment