Monday, August 1, 2011

5 Star Succulent Civiche

 I was browsing online at the foods that would be served at this years Heritage Festival in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada and came across a food that caught my eye as being healthy and nutritious.  It wasn't something I was familiar with, but sounded like it would be delicious based on the ingredients.  So I took my search to Google to find out about Ceviche.  Perhaps you've never heard of it either.  So, here's what I found by way of explanation from Wikipedia. 
"Ceviche (also spelled cebiche or seviche)is a seafood dish popular in the coastal regions of the America's, especially Central and South America. The dish is typically made from fresh raw fish marinated in citrus juices such as lemon or lime and spiced with hot chili peppers. Additional seasonings such as onion, salt, and pepper may also be added. Ceviche is usually accompanied by a side that complement its flavors such as sweet potato, lettuce, corn or avocado. As the dish is not cooked with heat, it must be prepared fresh and for the right amount of time to avoid the potential for food poisoning."

The recipe I share is one that I made at home today, and both my wife and I really enjoyed it's fresh flavors and tasty textures.  I let my wife try it first, to which after a few bites she announced that it was a keeper and I would be making that one again!  There are apparently many health benefits to eating this popular Latin American seafood and veggie combination dish.  Based on the ingredients used, here's a few that come to mind.

  • Helps to maintain a healthy heart
  • It is said by those who eat it that it decreases symptoms of arthritis
  • It's an immune system booster
  • Promotes healthier skin
  • Good for the eyes
  • May decrease the risk of Asthma
  • Helps in maintaining strong bones
  • May Reduce the risks of Alzheimer's

So when something that's so ridiculously healthy and also tastes so good, how can you not eat more?!! Here's my modified recipe from allrecipes.com for this delectable and refreshing Succulent Ceviche. 

Ingredients:

4-6 ounce of Tilapia (substitute scallops, halibut, red snapper, flounder, swordfish)
2 cups of frozen cooked shrimp
6 fresh whole limes, juiced, remove pulp
2 whole red tomatoes, diced
1/2 medium size red onion, finely chopped
1 long stalk of celery, sliced
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 mango, diced
4 inch of cucumber, peeled and diced
1/4 to 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 a large avocado, diced
1.5 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt

Directions:
Rinse Tilapia (or substitute fish) and cut up into 1 centimeter pieces and place into bowl.  Pour fresh squeezed lime juice over Tilapia.  It should be completely covered by the lime juice.  Juice more limes if needed.  Chill the bowl in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, or until the fish is opaque (you cannot see through the pieces).

Add all the remaining ingredients together in a seperate mixing bowl and stir together gently.  Take the fish and lime juice from the fridge after is marinated and pour into mixing bowl.  Stir together gently and place back in the fridge to cool.  We served these with some multi grain tortilla chips.  Recipe makes 4 servings.

Note: Marinating times may vary depending on quantity and thickness of fresh raw fish pieces.  Click image for larger scale.


Ceviche is simply fantastic and I highly recommend it!   It's almost like a really chunky seafood salsa, only better!  Doesn't that picture look mouth watering?  IT IS, and I can't wait to have more!!  Being my first attempt at making Ceviche, it turned out to be quite amazing and so worth all the chopping and dicing during the preparation.  You will love this food if you enjoy seafood and veggies.  Eat healthy my friends and enjoy!

Remember that it's never too late to start changing bad habits, habits that can shave years off your life and impact the quality of your life.   So, if you want the straight dope on fueling your body with nutritious food and what to avoid, I'm here to help and it won't cost you a penny for the free advice based on my own experience and what has worked for me.  I hope you'll follow my blog and provide me with some feedback on my posts.  I'll be catering good choices that include both dietary and lifestyle changes.  So if you could use a boost to your engine, buckle up for the ride of your life and let's get started!

No comments:

Post a Comment